Recycling Rambles

Do you recycle? I feel like it has become the trendy thing to do. I know it saves the earth and all, but it's like you aren't cool if you don't recycle. Personally, I really don't but I'll find myself acting like I do to fit in. For example.. while drinking beer at a friend's house I say something like "Do you recycle bottles?" instead of "Where is your trash can?" only because people ask that at my house.

90% of everything new that enters our house these days requires some sort of battery. The other weekend Mom and I were changing out batteries in Amelia's gadgets and instead of throwing the old ones away she asked if I recycled my batteries. I had no idea you could do such a thing. I suppose it makes sense, but I don't know where to do it. I know where to take papers and plastics, but there is not a battery bin there.

It's not that I don't want to save the earth. I like the earth and would like it to say around as long as possible. I just have so much in the day, I don't feel like working in another step. There are some things we do:

Stroll... we live right smack in the middle of town (which I love more and more each day. It is worth the city bills, taxes, etc to be able to stroll to Walgreens, friends houses, restaurants, Daddy and Mommy's work and the ice cream shop) So we stroll so we don't pollute the environment

Recycle Publix Bags... I use those cute fabric Publix bags. I have 3 of them. When my groceries exceed I do get the plastic ones but I do 1 or 2 things with them. Either use them to line my diaper pail or bathroom trash cans or I take them back to Publix and put them in the recycling bin.

When we took the paper I did take it to the newspaper bins, but now we read it online when something interesting happens.

My husband raises organic grass fed cows. We are saving food and the land from chemicals (does that count?)

Umm... I think that's about it. Am I a terrible person? I think there are so many people on the bandwagon right now that it will be okay if I wait a little while to start the initiative. Don't get me wrong, I think it is all fantastic and I would love for all of you to recycle, I just don't yet. Maybe that will be a 2010 goal of mine. There are really only 2 things I will not do...

I will not stop taking baths to save water. I love my evening baths and I think would rather give up my bed and sleep on the floor than give up my baths.

I will not buy recycled Publix paper towels. The Hubs bought those the other day and they are TERRIBLE! I love most all Publix brand products but ugh, they remind me of those brown paper towels that were in my elementary school bathroom... Nonabsorbent sandpaper. I will stick with my Bounty select-a-size with the seasonal patterns thank you very much.

So, all of you that think I am depleting your earth, challenge me... with something easy... maybe I'll give it a whirl...


In the meantime, we'll just keep on a strollin'

On the way to church 11/8/09

Comments

  1. Hey Nicole! I personally think you are doing a LOT for the environment...you are doing more than most. We recycle, but I am nowhere near perfect. I threw away a plastic grocery bag yesterday. Bad Anisa.

    Love keeping up with y'all and precious Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do miss living right in town. We lived on Beechwood Circle and our backyard looked right on the tennis courts so we always had some sort of entertainment. I would walk to pick up the kids from Montesorri too. We actually still own that house. Maybe one day we will move back!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts