Definitely Not "All Purpose" At All

I tell you what, life in general is total learning experience. I no longer feel guilty about not taking home economics in school because I have friends to educate me.

I delivered my $5 Ingles dis-advantage dinner last Tuesday. It was really, really good with the exception of the rolls. This was a big bummer for me because I wanted them to be a hit. They are these melt in your mouth sour cream and butter rolls that my Mother-in-law makes. I have no idea what they are called because when I copied the recipe I titled them Super Yummy Rolls on my recipe card.

When I got to the first stop I explained that the sausage and rice is perfect but the yummy rolls taste like balls of flour. They are doughy in the middle and just taste terrible. I explained about my Mother-in-Law and how they are always so good, blah blah blah and how there are only 3 ingredients then I say the joke of the night "so, the only thing I do different is that the recipe calls for self rising flour, but then that shouldn't matter because I use all purpose and it is good for everything."

I was walking towards the door thinking nothing of it until I realized my supposedly sweet friend was about doubled over laughing at me. She said I was "hysterical". At this point I'm still not on the same page she is on. I turn around to see what she is laughing at, wondering if I have toilet paper hanging out my pants or something and she says, "That is the funniest thing I have ever heard! You have to put that on your blog or one of those internet things you do."

She finally proceeds to tell me that self rising is fluffier and whatever and that they are not the same thing.

I have since found out you can add baking soda or powder and some other somethings to all purpose to make it self rising. But I think I will just go back to Publix and get the self rising to have on hand.

But here is the thing... why in the world would you call something "All Purpose" if it can not be used for all purposes?! I think that is false advertising.

Can I use self rising in place of the all purpose? I just really do not need 2 bags of flour in the pantry.

At least now I know why 3 batches of rolls have tasted like dough.

Tonight is Pesto Chicken Packets and no rolls.

Comments

Popular Posts