Happy Birthday Mama!

She is 19 years and 3 days older than me.  I said the other day "I remember driving to her 40th birthday party and Will will still be crapping in his pants at mine."


She is feisty and fun and her heart is full of love for pretty much everyone she meets.  She loves all things Alabama and all things Mardi Gras, but she loves me the most... and those babies I created. And one thing is certain, we would be an absolute mess without her. For many years it was just she and I.  We didn't get it all right but we got the big stuff.  And seeing her love on my babies, is something I've never felt before.  I had a Gaga, they have a Grandma and it's a bond that doesn't get broken. If I'm honest, I'm a wee bit jealous of them. 

I was shopping at my favorite store, Amazon Prime, and saw a mix for an original King Cake straight from Louisana.  So I thought, lets make Mama at birthday cake *hits Buy With One Click* 
I should stop for a minute and remind you that Mardi Gras originated in Mobile, but I would get sidetracked.  Do your own research, it's a fun story, if you are from Mobile I suppose.
Y'all I got this thing in and it was a 12 step process. Mix, add yeast, knead, let rise, form, add filling, shape, let rise... and so on.
For those of you who do not know, cooking is not my thing.  I don't enjoy it a lot and I'm not good at it.  So me baking you a cake is a sign of big love!

Thankfully I have a helper that loves to cook!

Seriously, words like "roll out into a 30x5 rectangle" stress me out! Is that a requirement or suggestion?! I'm completely messing this thing up!  It made me nervous so I got out my measuring tape and got as close as possible.


Mam Papaual's your King Cakes must be pretty fool proof because everyone loved it! And I really don't think they were just being nice.


But can we talk about this google search for a minute?  I know that stores do not put the baby in the cake any longer but assuming no one in my family would sue me, I decided to risk it.  But then I wondered "will the baby not melt? Do you cook in in there or do it at the end or what?"
My next words were King Cake. Can you bake the baby in a King Cake!  A toaster oven?!  Really?  These are the top google searches??? People!  "I'm done with you and your pop tarts! Quit whining and get in!"

This world is going bananas but my mama is still there. Standing strong and steady. Happy Birthday! I love you!


Comments

Popular Posts