No Spend 'Til May!

I have posted a couple of times on My Instagram page about our No Spend 'Til May challenge and every time I get a personal message saying "tell me about what you are doing." "what exactly does this mean?"

First I would love to say that we just wanted to tighten up and were convicted to spend less but that's not the case. We run a small for-profit business that is not quite YET the most profitable. We are confident that it will be, we just aren't exactly where we want to be at this time.  That being said, Uncle Sam disagrees and we are going to have to pay taxes.  I am not the money person in our house so I'm not going to try and explain everything I don't understand but we got bills to pay and numbers seem like they aren't going to add up without us getting whoa tight! And let's mention that other than a business loan, we don't have a lot of debt.  No car payments, no credit cards... so where to cut?  I have joked for years that we $20-$50 ourselves to death.  Tops at Target, rounds of golf, after church gut filler at Arby's because we don't want to eat a sandwich.  So we are on a quest to see how much we can save if we spend some time only buying what is a need. "Nicole, those really cute $4 earrings at Walmart is not a need!" Having 3 young children, Easter baskets are a need so if you have any fun, low cost ideas let me know!

It can be very frustrating, and defeating if you aren't careful, when you feel that you are doing your best to live a life of obedience and know without a doubt that you are doing what the Lord called you to do but life still seems to be working against you.

 But what keeps ringing in my head over, and over, and over again is 1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

The first part of that verse was a lifeline for me for over a year in a season of uncontrollable panic attacks.  Sidenote: looking back on that season and seeing how far I've come still amazes me.  If you are currently in a struggle outside of your control, lean in and hold on. It's a season and it will pass.
The part that has been ringing in my ears over the past week is "He cares for you."

Care: verb 1. feel concern or interest; attach importance to something. 2. look after and provide for the needs of.

There are many people I like and think of often.  There are many people we are called to love but to care has a whole different meaning to me. I would be devastated if anything happened to my children because I have been caring for them their whole lives.  I care enough about them to feed and nourish them.  But I also care if they are happy and loved and thriving.  I care enough about their hearts and the glimmer in their eyes to surprise them with popsicles after school because it brings them joy and that makes my heart nearly explode. Care.  The creator of the universe and the trees and the mountains cares for you.  He cares for all of your needs and your wants and the things on your heart that put a glimmer in your eye. He also knows what's best for you and when to hold back, but He is not a God who deprives.

On Monday's Amelia has young singers, on Tuesday Amelia has dance, Annie has nothing.  She loves time at home without "her boss" here to plan all the activities and games. Every now and then I try to do something with her to make it about her.  This week I got a notification that the precious people at Chick-fil-a had treated us to a Frosted Sunrise! "Annie, would you like to go get a milkshake?" "YES!"
We ended up spilling it all over the car. But as I mentioned above, our car is old so whatevs.
And we still had plenty to drink.
If you don't have the Chickfila One app, you are crae! It is the best!

Then, we got the sweetest surprise in the form of a date night when we referred a client to a friend for a business need. Last night we were able to enjoy Longhorn and babysitting without costing us a thing! Steaks, dessert, grownup conversation on a Friday night....YES!
HE CARES FOR US!


Also, this week my parents and 2 friends have brought us dinner.  2 friends, out of the blue that know I hate cooking and who are both amazing cooks. And my mom who loves me the most.  This is such a simple act but having 3 dinners prepared for you stretches your grocery budget in a big way!  I did have a friend message me saying "This makes me mad at my friends. You always get meals!" HA!  I really do.  And there are no words to show my appreciation. There really is not! I have a kid that hates sleep and therefore is grumpy, one that is struggling with homework and another that sits in the middle and wants to snuggle. Cooking is my least favorite thing to do with no drama in our house, muchless right now with all this nonsense. (Is it summer yet? Give me all the slow, boring days of summer with no schedule)  There really isn't a better way to love me. That being said I responded with "You just need to complain more. And wear a face that looks as if you may be your very own episode of Snapped at any minute." This is also true.

I have no doubt that God surrounded us with the people He did on purpose for this season of life.  It is not coincidental that when you pray, "Lord, help us make wise decisions. Help make the budget work. Help us stay on the same page and not at each others throats during this season. Help us find nuggets of joy in this season." That he provides milkshakes, date nights, nights of homemade pizzas, dance parties and at home pedicures that bring more joy than we deserve.
Pizza Night & Dance Party!
He's cute!

He cares for us!  So, so, so much!  But don't be fooled!  Satan is prowling around like a lion and here's a few things he's using to try and cause me to stumble.....
How cute is this tshirt from thehomet?! 
Are you ready for The Masters? We are!

And how about this $17.00 dress from Walmart! (they are really stepping up their game!)
It looks to be the most comfy thing ever?
IT HAS POCKETS! 

Old Navy, will you send me this cute summer jumpsuit?
I'm too tall for Rompers. And since my rearend and thighs tend to
stay the same no matter how much I exercise, they have no business hanging out of things. 
But these wide leg capris have me drooling!

We aren't even going to speak of the Lilly Pulitzer home line at Pottery Barn...
Because I will probably cuss.


Not today Satan! Not today. Or tomorrow either! I am afraid I'm going to need all the prayers I can get and the entire Full Armor of God to get through though.  You got this! Right?! Please tell me I got this! HA!


Also, as I type this Seasons by Hillsong is playing on my You Tube station 

Your the God of seasons
And I'm just in a winter
If all I know of harvest
Is that it's worth my patience
Then if You're not done working
God I'm not done waiting!

Maybe you need to hear it. It's good stuff!  This is a season and He hasn't failed us yet so I'm expectant and excited to see what He does.

Disclaimer: this is my blog and simply my story. It's not a cry for help or for sympathy. We aren't desolate, just in a trial and excited to see what God does through our obedience. What I loved most about blogging in the earlier season of our marriage was reading back through and seeing the victories.  I share for my own reading and in the hopes that it may encourage you on your journey. Nothing more.














Comments

Popular Posts