Summer, Obedience and Faith

I wrote on my calendar in June "Intentional Fun".


And I did it! Turns out I can not figure out how to have intentional fun, keep my house clean and blog all in one summer. Blogging was the only thing that could be put on hold but it was worth it.  We had play dates, planted a garden (a garden the size of one pallet but still), went to the mountains and the beach, 2 waterparks and multiple pools with friends.  There were also days of sitting around this house doing laundry and getting fussed at because "we're bored! but it's hot!"

I had enough downtime this summer to keep my sanity - most days - so I call that a victory.  There was a moment looking at my table in July


Where I thought, "I would have never in a million years thought this would have brought me this much joy."  The difference in joy and happiness is often times you have to look for joy.  Surprise me with a cotton candy blizzard from Dairy Queen and I feel instant happiness. Pretty hydrangeas required a lot of watering when we planted them two years ago and pulling weeds in the heat is dreadful. Forgetting to put tomato cages around your plants until it's almost too late and walking the fine line between them getting ripe enough but not busted is a tricky balance.  A boy that doesn't require much sleep, screams at you for a "POP", usually stinks and is always destroying your house is hard to like a lot of days.  I never imagined I would live in our house on 5 acres with a boy who is always a mess and tomatoes but God saw fit.  And one afternoon in July they were all sitting together at the same table, pretty but smelly, and I felt joy.  All of this I am keeping alive, nurturing and immensely proud of.  Many summers would have been so busy and chaotic that I wouldn't have taken a moment to find this kind of joy, but this summer I did. It was a fun season but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ready for it to come to an end.  Schedules are my thing and I'd WHOA grateful for school!

This summer has also been hard.  Have you ever started a business?  We are 3 years into what we are certain God called us to but it's just not easy many days.

Someone told me after my last blog that people were worried about us from reading my last blog or past blogs.  I have read and read it over and over again and can't figure out the trigger but we are fine. Perhaps I'm more transparent than the average Jill but I feel like to truly see how big God is working in our lives, I have to be honest about where we are.  We have a business that 100% provides for all our needs and truthfully a lot of wants.  But we also have to say know to many wants. The American Dream is just that.  It's American. It's not kingdom minded. It's not even what much of the world expects to obtain. So sometimes living in small town America is difficult and we do look different than some. But we are call to look different so I guess that's ok.  We are FAR from getting it all right but we are doing our best and for those of you worried about us, thank you but we are fine.

It's sometimes hard trusting and having faith and discernment when life is just plain hard. Peaks and valleys. But God has shown up in some crazy and big ways this summer. I was writing in my journal just 3 weeks ago that I needed God to show up in a big way.  Pleading for God to show us something to let us know we are still on the right path. And he showed up in a way bigger than I could have imagined. I was an awesome story in our house.

A story that is a little less personal and pretty cute was me wanting a denim shirt to go with a skirt I own.  I've been looking for a shirt to match this skirt for years. Not exaggerating.  One day it clicked that a denim shirt would work perfect and they are in trend everywhere.  I was at Target buying some things Amelia needed to complete her summer reading project and thought "I will get me a denim shirt." I tried on a cute sleeveless denim button down and carried it all over the store. At check out I decided to put it back. August is an expensive month with back to school this and that and extra just isn't necessary right now. Besides I haven't worn the skirt in at least 2 years so why start now?! Fast forward to yesterday when a friend cleaned out her closet and brought me a bag saying "you want to look through any of this?" Ummmm… yeah I do!" Last night I was looking through and trying on clothes and towards the top of the stack was a folded sleeveless denim button down shirt.

I'm aware that I need to clean my mirror! Sorry.

Isn't that so fun?!?!? Now I know good and well that God doesn't give a flip about how trendy my wardrobe is. But I also know He does love me and while He may not care about my clothes, He cares about me and He loves to show me. So why is it that we praise Him on Tuesday and lose faith by Wednesday?! It's human nature BUT we can overcome that fear.

"Instead of learning the necessity of purity in being obedient to the laws God gave, the people were satisfied that the outward act of obedience was, in itself, sufficient." 

This was written in my bible study book about the people of Judah in the book of Isaiah, but unfortunately it's still true today. It's not the act of being faithful obedient people that brings true joy to God, it's doing the act because of the truth you have in your heart.  Head knowledge vs heart knowledge.  It's all part of the sanctification process.  Maybe for September I should write "Intentional Faith!"

Comments

Popular Posts